- Began preparation of yeast starter.
- Removed recovered yeast from fridge and allowed to come to room temp.
- Boiled 0.5 cups of DME in 16 oz of water for 10 minutes.
- Cooled starter wort to room temperature and transferred to starter jug.
- Poured yeast into starter jug and mixed thoroughly.
- Activity noted within 3 hours.
- 13:50 - Baked Flaked Oats at 325 °F for 25 minutes.
- 14:30 - Steeped Flaked Oats, Crystal Malt, Chocolate Malt, Black Patent Malt, and Roasted Barley in 4 gallons of water at 160 °F for 40 minutes.
- 15:10 - Sparged grains with 2 quarts of water at 160 °F.
- 15:15 - Returned brewpot to burner and increased heat to boil.
- 15:45 - Full boil reached.
- 15:45 - Added 7 lbs of DME and 1 oz Goldings.
- 16:30 - Added 0.5 lbs of Lactose, 2 oz of Maltodextrin, and 1 oz of Goldings.
- 16:35 - Added 1 tsp of Irish Moss.
- 16:45 - Removed wort from burner and placed in ice bath to cool.
- 18:00 - Went to store for more ice.
- 18:30 - Transfered wort to primary fermenter and added cool water to bring total volume to 5.25 gallons.
- 18:40 - Pitched yeast at 74 °F.
- 18:45 - Placed water-lock on primary fermenter and placed it in the pantry.
- 19:00 - Spilled hydrometer sample. (Managed to save enough to read.)
- Active fermentation visible by 08:00.
- Transferred to secondary fermenter.
- Added 32 oz of homebrewed espresso.
- Added 6 oz cocao nibs.
- Placed water-lock on secondary fermenter and returned the brew to the pantry.
- No CO2 pressure building in secondary.
- Pitched some dry yeast (from Muntons Imperial Stout kit) and agitated the wort slightly.
- CO2 pressure has developed.
- Boiled 1.25 cups DME in 1 pint of water for 15 minutes.
- Added priming solution to bottling bucket and siphoned beer from secondary to bottling bucket.
- Filled and capped 52 twelve ounce bottles.
- Placed bottles in plastic lined boxes and placed boxes in pantry.